Online dating is an excellent way to meet someone. The following tips will help you have a pleasant and safe dating experience:
1) Wait until you are ready to meet someone new. If you are widowed or divorced, well-meaning family and friends may try to push you into the dating world. Move at your own pace; you'll know when the time is right.
2) Do a little research and determine what is the best online service for you. The dating sites for seniors may suit you, or maybe a dating site that is geared toward your hobbies or interests.
3) Be careful about revealing personal information to strangers. Initially, communicate using e-mail or instant messaging. Definitely do not disclose your home or work address, telephone number, or other personal contact information until you feel very comfortable doing so. Be careful about providing information that would make you easily identifiable.
4) Watch out for people who seem to ask a lot of questions, trying to get you to reveal information about yourself. It's fun to talk about yourself, and it is the way that two people get to know each other. However, watch out for those people who ask a lot of questions, yet reveal very little personal information.
5) Never reveal information regarding your finances. It is alright to be proud of your accomplishments, and bragging can be tempting. But resist the urge to do so. There are a lot of good, kind, and honest people on best senior dating sites. However, there are also people who are not so nice who are full of schemes and scams.
6) Caution is the watch word. If you choose to meet someone in person, always choose to meet them at a public place, such as a restaurant. Never meet at your home or office. Also, make sure that you tell a family member or friend where you're going and contact them when you return from the date. Also, have a cell phone with you. No matter how much you may think you know about this person, remember -- you are meeting a stranger.
7) Don't overlook discrepancies and inconsistencies. Pay attention to the red flags, and listen to your instincts -- your gut feelings. If something doesn't feel right, don't ignore the feeling! Immediately cut off contact with the individual.
8) Never, never, never send anyone money! I cannot stress this enough.
9) Take your time and get to know the other person. Don't immediately think you've met your soulmate -- perhaps they've simply memorized your Facebook or MySpace page.
10) Before getting seriously involved with someone, hire an agency to run a background check. I know that this is not a romantic notion, but the information you learn can keep you safe and can save you a lot of time, heartache, and sleepless nights.